“COMMIT TO THE LORD WHATEVER YOU DO, AND HE WILL ESTABLISH YOUR PLANS.” – PROVERBS 16:3
Learn more about our Legacy Projects.
ZIMBABWE OPERATING ROOM EXPANSION
Harare Children’s Hospital in Zimbabwe has been our host hospital for the past seven years. It is the only pediatric hospital in all of Zimbabwe, serving a population of approximately 15 million with only two operating room suites. As of 2013, Harare Children’s Hospital had performed over 3,000 operations with a wait list of over 5,000 children. In 2014, elective surgical care was backlogged significantly with pediatricians scheduling surgeries up to the year 2018.
After prayerful consideration, LEAP sent funding for a third operating room suite. In May 2014, construction began with completion in July. When our team traveled to Harare in September 2015, we were able to utilize this beautiful new operating room and enlarged recovery room.
As a result of this third operating room, Harare Children’s Hospital has indicated the following improvements to their pediatric community:
- Improved Efficiency – The surgeons and nursing staff previously worked until midnight or 1 am to complete their daily surgeries. Now, surgeons and staff are usually able to complete a normal surgery day.
- Elective Operations – Normally scheduled surgeries would be postponed due to emergencies, creating a huge backlog. Now, elective operations are no longer stopped, and emergencies take place in the third operating room.
- Depleting The Backlog – As surgeons are able to plan and not be ‘waiting’ for an available operating room, they can now schedule and execute all pending surgeries.
In 2013, a total of 1,110 pediatric surgeries were performed with two operating rooms. In the following year, an additional 400 surgeries were completed in the second half of the year, following the opening of the third operating room in July. By the time our team returned to Harare in June 2016, almost 3,000 total pediatric surgeries had been performed!
This third operating room allows for many thousands of children to receive their needed surgeries much earlier. Over time, this eternal gift will continue to benefit countless children over many generations. There is truly no better way for us to invest in our global future!
HAITI HONORARY EXPANSION PROJECT
In 2016, LEAP sent a construction team, led by Janet and Pat Ortega, to Hopital Espoir, our partner hospital in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to build an Emergency Room with an Operating Room and Recovery Rooms, along with a new 2,500 sq. ft. Outpatient Clinic. Several months of planning went into this project, which served as an expansion of the Pediatric Ward built in 2014. The project was completed just in time for our 25th anniversary Gala in September 2016 that included a surprise honorary award presentation at the event.
It’s been a year since this project was completed, and we are beyond pleased to report the following:
- Since opening in Nov. 2016, the Outpatient Clinic has served 23,626 patients
- Since Jan. 2017, the Emergency Room has received 3,095 patients
- The new Operating Room has had 55 surgeries since opening in April 2017
Each person served through these new facilities would likely not have been seen at all or been placed on an extensive waitlist. We pray that the project will be able to serve countless others over the years, and we celebrate the efforts of the medical professionals who have brought life to the facilities to bring about this already impressive impact.
- Education and expansion of plastic surgery and orthodontic programs in El Salvador in 2014
- Surgery facility in Damoh, India in 2009
- Multipurpose building (school, orphanage, and medical) on the border of Laos and Thailand
- Prosthetic clinic in Belize
- Free-standing medical clinic in Nuevo Progreso, Mexico in 2002